Friday, July 2, 2010

Rite of passage

I'm struck by how discombobulating it is to have your normal "routine" interrupted. Obviously the tile can't be walked on while it's drying. We're not going to be able to walk on it while the grout is drying. And again we won't be able to walk on it while the sealer is drying. Considering that it's now taken two days to install the tiles that means it's going to be like 4 to 5 days without walking in the kitchen.

Now, there are those who will say "so what?" My answer is that's my normal passage to the garage. On top of that, it means we can't use the sink to wash dishes, can't get to the pantry, or do other things to get the kitchen ready for the things to come. I guess it's one of those things that you don't realize how important the kitchen is.... until you can't use it.

We've had some lengthy discussions about what color to paint the kitchen and more importantly where the kitchen actually ends (since that is where the color should end). Personally, I had no problem with the color it is but she assures me that blah isn't a good kitchen color. So another rite is going through hundreds of colors to find 2 or 3 you both can agree on. Now, don't get me wrong, it's not like she wanted to go hot pink and I wanted stark white. In our relationship, she is the yin to my yang, so she is the adventurous to my conservative. Moreover, color schemes are like rocket science to me. Color swatches have been around almost as long as paint, so has arguing about what color things should be. Our next hurdle is how to paint the textured walls without painting onto the textured ceiling.

Another big hurdle is going to be the electrical for the microwave over the stove... but that's another post for another time. Wish me luck, I need all I can get.

No comments:

Post a Comment